Bishop Francis James Chavasse (1846-1928)
Second Bishop of Liverpool
- 27th February 1846 Born at Sutton Coldfield.
- Educated at Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
- Ordained 1870. First curacy, St Paul's, Paignton.
- Vicar of St Paul's, Upper Holloway.
- 1878-1889, Rector of St Peter-le-Bailey, Oxford. Married Edith Maude, had seven children.
- Principle of Wycliffe Hall, Oxford (1889-1900).
- Succeeded J. C. Ryle as Bishop of Liverpool from 1900-1923, involved in the building of Liverpool Cathedral.
- After resigning his See he founded St Peter's College, Oxford (1928).
- Was involved in the opposition of the 1928 Prayer Book Revision.
- Died 11th March 1928.
(Great Churchmen No. 24 - Church Book Room Press)